Readers and Families,
Harvey Milk Civil Rights Academy is ready to kick off the 2022 Read-a-thon!
What IS Read-a-thon? First and foremost, it’s a Celebration of Reading! For 10 days, students will be encouraged to read! ALL reading counts: books they read, books students had read to them, comic books, reading for school, reading for fun…. All of it!
Secondly, in order to support the school’s financial needs, Read-a-thon is also a fundraiser (though raising funds is NOT required to participate). Information is below on how to encourage your friends and family to support your student’s reading by “sponsoring” them.
Finally, Read-a-thon gives students the opportunity to SET a goal, and then WORK toward that goal. All students who meet or beat their goals will receive special recognition.
Timeline for Read-a-thon:
Before February 28:
- Set a Goal Go to harveymilk.com/Readathon to help your student set their goal for the number of minutes they can read in 10 days. This is the main objective of Read-a-thon this year. A special prize given to ALL readers who set and MEET OR BEAT their goals. (Goal suggestions are listed in the graphic below.) Goals must be submitted by March 2 to count toward a prize.
- Get Sponsors Students can ask their families and friends to “sponsor” them as they work toward their goal. This is a great fundraiser to share with grandparents, aunts and uncles and friends who are like family. All donations to HMCRA are tax deductible and support our amazing school. You can find a social media toolkit online to help you share the word with your personal community, and encourage our young readers.
- Find Something to Read All reading counts: in school, out of school, adults reading to students, comic books, magazines, Audio Books and some really great books from our own HMCRA library.
Starting March 1:
- Track your Minutes Use the online, form or the paper log on the back. For minutes to count, they must be tracked online or on paper. Online minutes can be entered daily, or once at the end, but must be tracked daily. (Students can also use this Google Sheet to enter all reading. Please only submit once after March 11.)
- Join your readers! Parents/Families can find a recommended reading list from the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee to join in the reading.
- Turn in all your minutes In order to have your minutes count toward your goal and your class’s tally, all minutes must be turned in to your teacher or online via this form by March 14th. Parents, if it’s easier, you can use this Google Sheet to track and then submit by emailing to Readathon@harveymilk.com. If your child forgets their forms at home, a picture of the reading log is fine! Please email it with your reader’s name and the subject “Student Reading Log” to email@example.com. All minutes must be received by the end of the day March 14th.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.
Thank you for supporting this effort to instill a lifelong love of reading in each of our students.
Sarah Kern (school librarian)
and Tarrah Pollaro (PFC Read-a-thon lead)
The last day to apply to San Francisco’s Public Schools is February 4, 2022.
If you have a child moving on to Middle School or an incoming Kindergartener you must apply by this date.
Learn more here
Tuesday, October 5, 3:45pm
We are pleased to announce Rainbow Club will start back up again in person this year!
1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month, 3:45-4:30
First Meeting: October 5th
Meet Ms. Butler at the Collingwood Gate at 3:45
Open to all students of LGBTQ+ families, trans or non-binary students and allies!
Meetings will take place outdoors masked because there will be kids across grade levels. It will only be open to students this year (we will miss families!) unless we are doing a special project and Ms. Butler asks for volunteers.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rainbow Clubs are Elementary School versions of a GSA (Gender Spectrum Alliance) used nationwide.
Thursday, September 9, 5:00-6:30pm
Back To School Night “TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK” will take place on Thursday, broadcast via zoom. HMCRA Educators will share grade-level expectations, then share a little about individual classes. Each grade level will provide Zoom Links by Monday, September 6th, 2021.
In addition to Back To School Night via Zoom, Principal Stewart will also open the school on two evenings for parents to tour and visit their child(ren)’s classroom(s) (children welcome). You may visit on one of the following dates:
- Tuesday, September 21st – 5:00 pm to 5:45 pm.
- Thursday, September 23rd – 5:00 pm to 5:45 pm.
Meeting ID: 464 133 7822
Mr Stewart will host THREE OPEN HOUSE dates at Harvey Milk for all Harvey Milk parents to tour:
- Wednesday, August 4th,
- Thursday, August 5th, and
- Friday, August 6th, daily from 5-6pm
- Please wear a mask (no parent will be admitted in the school without a mask)
- Please enter through the Collingwood Gate (on the hill) and please walk up the Rainbow stairs to the Harvey Milk Library to enter the building.
- There will be NO childcare, so students are welcome to attend, however NO CHILDCARE WILL BE PROVIDED
- Harvey Milk Educators are NOT expected to attend, classrooms are not open (classrooms are NOT prepared)
- Principal Stewart will have a short presentation about San Francisco Unified School District current guidance on masks and will try to answer questions as we walk through the building together.
Incoming Kindergarten families, we’re looking forward to welcoming your children to HMCRA in August. In the meantime, here’s a couple of summer playdates to help you get connected with our school community:
- Saturday, June 12 – 2pm, Christopher Playground
- Saturday, July 31 – 10am: Redwood Grove Playground, McLaren Park