When do I drop off my child?
- Children enrolled in the Before School Program can be dropped off as early as 7:30am. Children not enrolled in the Before School Program should arrive between 9:15 and 9:30am.
What’s the daily schedule?
- Our school day is 9:30am – 3:45pm, with Early Dismissals taking place at 2:30pm EVERY Wednesday. Most classrooms have morning snack around 11:00am. Morning recess is at 10:55am for grades K-1, 11:15am for grades 2-3, and 11:35am for grades 4-5. Lunch is at 12:40pm for K-1, 1:05pm for grades 2-3, and 1:30pm for grades 4-5. The After School Program runs 3:45-6:30pm, 2:30-6:30pm on Wednesdays. **See additional information on early release days at the bottom of the page.
Where do I drop off my child?
- From 7:30-9:15am, drop off is at the Before School Program in the cafeteria. From 9:15am until 9:30am drop-off is either at the front or side entrance depending on your child’s grade. After 9:30am, you must stop by the main office for a tardy pass.
When do I pick up my child?
- 3:45pm on regular school days and 2:30pm on Early Release Days. If enrolled in the After School Program: between 3:45-6:30pm.
Where do I pick up my child?
- At 3:45pm, you can pick up your child in the school yard. Between 3:45-6:30pm, please enter through the school’s front double doors and pick up your child from the YMCA program.
Do I need to sign my child in and out every day?
- You don’t need to sign your child in or out of the regular school program. You do need to sign your child out of the After School Program, every day. Children in 4th grade and above may leave on their own at dismissal time, with parent permission, and may also sign their younger siblings out.
How do I pick up my child early?
- Go to the main office and sign them out, and your child will be called from their classroom to come to the office to meet you.
What do I do if I’m going to be in the school during the day?
- Go to the main office, sign in on the clipboard by the door, and get a visitor pass.
**A Note on Early Release Days: In order to provide our staff with more time to meet for professional development, HMCRA has a weekly early release schedule.
Research exists that demonstrates the value of teacher/staff collaboration time (http://www.sedl.org/change/issues/issues61.html), indicating the critical role teacher collaboration time plays in improving student academic achievement. By having consistent time available, teachers can be engaged in meaningful professional development that gives them the skills and strategies they can apply to their classrooms, sometimes the very next day. Teachers can examine how the strategies are working and reflect and collaborate with colleagues on a consistent basis to identify what works best.
Additional time is built into the regular day schedule to account for the instructional minute requirement by the state of California.
Morning School Bus #605
8:45 am Leola Havard @ 1520 Oakdale Ave
9:00 am Starr King @ SB Wisconsin St.
9:08 am Las Americas @ 21 St & Treat St, SE Corner
9:20 am Harvey Milk Elementary @ 200 Collingwood St
Early Evening School Bus #614
5:10 pm Harvey Milk Elementary @ 200 Collingwood St.
5:12 pm Las Americas @ 21st & Treat St., SE Corner
5:18 pm Starr King @ SB Wisconsin St.
5:31 pm Malcom X @ 350 Harbor Rd.
5:36 pm Leola Havard @ 1520 Oakdale Ave
5:45 pm Taylor @ SB Goettingen
6:00 pm Santos @ Sunnydale
All students taking the evening bus will need to be enrolled in the after school program.
Located in the heart of San Francisco’s Castro district, Harvey Milk Civil Rights Academy is served by many major transportation lines.
Muni Metro K, L, and M drop you off at Castro and Market streets just three blocks from the school. Many others are within a few blocks.
- The 24 Line stops at 19th & Castro, one block away.
- The 33 Line stops at 18th & Diamond, one block away.
- The 37 line stops at Market and Castro, three blocks away.